Defining our socio-economic impact
Through its services and organisation, G4S delivers a broad range of significant and far reaching social, economic and environmental benefits to the communities in which we work, many of which are helping to realise the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- We create employment opportunities, and invest in and develop our employees. We directly benefit them and our suppliers through the salaries, benefits and payments we make for goods and services.
- In our Care & Justice operations, we develop innovative programmes to rehabilitate offenders and provide them with the encouragement and skills needed to help them rebuild their lives once released.
- We deliver a wide range of specialist security services that mitigate the risk or impact of criminal behaviour and help to create safer and more stable communities.
- Our colleagues work with governments and non-governmental organisations in high-risk environments such as former conflict areas, to support humanitarian, stabilisation and economic-reconstruction efforts.
- Our focus on safety has helped reduce the risk of injury and fatality.
- We encourage industry standards to be raised. By embedding our policies and practices into less developed regions, as well as by supporting new approaches such as the Ethical Employment Partnership or the International Code of Conduct for Private Security Providers, we have helped to improve industry standards around the world.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) call upon business to advance sustainable development through the investments they make, the solutions they develop, and the practices they adopt.
In our report, we have mapped case studies against the SDGs to highlight where G4S is helping to advance the SDGs through our programmes and operations.
UK economic impact
2013 analysis and 2012 analysis by Warwick Economics & Development are still available to read.
gross value added impacts of G4S uk operations