July 17, 2020
I hope you and your families are remaining healthy as COVID-19 continues to affect our cities and towns throughout the country. Your support and flexibility are appreciated by our management team and our customers while we provide the necessary services for keeping workers and the public safe during the pandemic.
The last several weeks have been difficult for many G4S families with the loss of five team members due to COVID-19. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as we mourn their loss. Our team continues to work with their families to assist them during this difficult time.
- Derek Carr worked in our Las Vegas office and was with the company for more than 10 years, most recently at Brixton. His team called him “Big B”, short for Big Brother, and will miss him dearly. He is survived by his two daughters.
- Charles Dunn had been with G4S for about a year and most recently worked with the Polk County Sheriff out of our Tampa, Florida, office. He is survived by his wife.
- Kenneth German worked out of our Boca Raton, Florida, office and supported Mizner Properties. He was with G4S for three years. He will be remembered by colleagues as a funny, smart, friendly and very likeable guy with a big heart. Kenneth is survived by his four children.
- Robert Young was 28 and joined G4S late last year. Robert supported our UHG customer in Phoenix, Arizona. He is survived by his mother, father and brother.
- Fredrick Hill was 63 years old and supported Bank of America in our Riverside, California, office. Fredrick had been with G4S for 17 years. Fred was a family man who regularly took on extra shifts within a moment's notice so that he could provide a better life for his family, according to his bank Captain Ryan Beardsley. He enjoyed cars, barbequing, going on cruises and traveling. His G4S Riverside family will truly miss him, appreciates his many years of loyal service and is devastated by his loss. He is survived by his wife and daughter.
G4S Cares Fund
Many of you have asked how you can support your G4S colleagues who have lost their battle to COVID-19. As you may have heard on our most recent all-hands call, the company is creating a new charity called The G4S Cares Fund to provide financial assistance to G4S employees in need. The Cares Fund will provide 100% of donations to employees, inclusive of all Americas countries. As part of this initiative, we are providing care packages to families of employees who have died from COVID-19 or fatal attacks while at work, which includes a memory box, condolence letter and three months wages.
We plan to roll out the donation process in the fall of this year for employee contributions. While the COVID-19 crisis is the immediate impetus for this initiative, the intent is for the fund to be used in other emergency situations as well, such as natural disasters, floods, fires, etc. A selection committee of front-line and non-supervisory employees is being established to review applications and determine funds to be provided to affected families. More information will be provided in the coming weeks. Thank you for your interest and willingness to help our fallen colleagues.
On a positive note, I would like to share with you some recent news about the company. Last week, a Nashville news station caught the heroic efforts of one of our G4S security officers on camera, and she is inspiring many of us with her compassion and selflessness. CPO Karen Hodge helped deescalate a situation with a distraught and suicidal man outside of the county jail. Please view the news clip here and join me in congratulating her on a job well done. Team members like Karen are what makes G4S such a great place to work. Thank you!
We continue to pursue hiring efforts throughout the country and have been featured in many local media TV stations as a result. Last week Winnye Wilks, Vice President of HR for the Southeast Region, helped us promote our hiring initiatives in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market by doing an interview with WSFL. The news clip also features Pedro “Pete” Garcia from our Miami office, a site supervisor who recently rejoined G4S and supports one of our residential property customers. Thanks to both Winnye and Pete for representing G4S so well and helping us bring new top talent to G4S during a much needed time.
Please continue to take the necessary precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19. Use face coverings, maintain safe social distance from others, wash your hands as often as possible, avoid those who may have any symptoms of illness and isolate yourself if you are sick to help keep our teams, customers and our communities healthy. The safety of our employees and customers is our top priority and will continue to guide our actions.
Please share the stories of the great work our teams deliver during COVID-19 here. Our G4S heroes are doing amazing work supporting their communities and we want to hear about it from you. Thank you for all of your efforts to help stop the spread of this virus and for working with our customers during this challenging time.
Sincerely, and with a virtual elbow bump,
G4S Secure Solutions (USA)