G4S - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Read our frequently asked questions to find out about contacting our registrars, electronic shareholder communications and answers to your queries regarding dividends or shares.
Prison Employee

FAQs relating to the Allied UNiversal and GardaWorld Offer

 I accepted the GardaWorld offer what should I do?

The Acceptance Condition for GardaWorld has not been satisfied and the Cash Offer has now lapsed and is no longer capable of acceptance. Any G4S Shareholders who have accepted the GardaWorld Cash Offer cease to be bound by their acceptances.

You can read the announcement outlining what to do in this circumstance here

When can I expect to receive the funds for my shares?
The transaction was declared wholly unconditional on 6 April 2021 and if you have accepted the offer, you should receive a cheque within 14 days of that date.
My share certificate has been lost/stolen - how do I get a replacement?
If you have lost your share certificate you will need to inform our registrars as soon as possible. This can be done by telephone or in writing. Link Asset Services will then be able to guide you through the process of obtaining a duplicate certificate. Depending on the value of the shares represented by the share certificate, a fee may be payable.
What happens if I do nothing/do not accept the Allied Universal offer? 
It is expected that the shares will be delisted from all exchanges and so you will be holding an illiquid asset.

All Other FAQs

Contacting our Registrars

Link Asset Services (formerly known as Capita Asset Services)
The Registry 
34 Beckenham Road 
BR3 4TU 

Tel: Within the UK 0871 664 0300, or from outside the UK +44 (0)371 664 0300.  Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.  Calls outside the United Kingdom will be charged at the applicable international rate.  Lines are open between 09.00 - 17.30, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays in England and Wales.

Email: enquiries@linkgroup.co.uk
Website: www.signalshares.com

Can I receive my shareholder communications electronically?

Yes. To receive your shareholder communications electronically, simply:

  • Go to the website www.signalshares.com
  • Type in ‘G4S’ and click ‘Search’
  • Click on ‘G4S PLC’
  • Click on Register under ‘Register an Account’ on the right-hand side of the page
  • Enter your details including your Investor Code (which you will find on your share certificate or on your dividend cheque, dividend tax voucher) to complete the registration form.

You will then be able to access your G4S shareholding details and register to receive all future communications electronically.

Registering on our registrar’s web portal also enables you to manage your shareholding online.

You can:

  • Access details of your G4S shareholding quickly and securely
  • Update your registered address and other personal details
  • Change your dividend payment options
  • Change your communication option
  • Change the way you receive your dividends; and
  • Cast your vote.

Electronic communication has a number of benefits to us as a company and our shareholders: reducing print and distribution costs, increasing the speed of communication and reducing our impact on the environment by reducing substantially the number of documents we print and mail. The board regards this as a positive step for both G4S and its shareholders.

Shareholders who register for 'electronic communication' will be notified by email as soon as shareholder documentation, such as our annual report and our notice of meeting, is published. This notification will include details of where you can view or download the documents on our website.


In 2006 legislation was introduced in the UK allowing companies to communicate with shareholders electronically. At the 2010 AGM G4S obtained shareholder approval to adopt these changes allowing the Company to use this website as the main way to communicate with shareholders and that approval has now been implemented, although shareholders still retain the option to receive hard copy communications.

The consultation

A letter was posted to shareholders on 28 November 2014. All shareholders on the register of members at that time were asked to select one of the following options:

  • Option 1: Be notified by post that documents are available on the website.
  • Option 2: Be notified by e mail that documents are available on the website.
  • Option 3: Continue to receive paper documents by post.

Option 1 was the default option; if shareholders did not respond and Capita Asset Services (now Link Asset Services) did not already have their email address, they would (and will continue to*) receive a letter from us advising when documents are available on our website.

* Please note that shareholders can, at any time, change their decision on how they wish to receive shareholder documents by using the web portal described above or by contacting Link Asset Services (formerly Capita Asset Services) on Tel: Within the UK 0871 664 0300, or from outside the UK +44 (0)371 664 0300.  Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.  Calls outside the United Kingdom will be charged at the applicable international rate.  Lines are open between 09.00 - 17.30, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays in England and Wales.

Will I need any specific computer equipment to receive electronic communications from G4S?

You will need internet access, an email address, a web browser and a PDF reader.

The PDF reader is necessary as many of our documents are downloadable in PDF format to allow easy printing. You can download a PDF reader called Adobe Acrobat Reader for free at http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/.

What do I need to do if I move home?

If you move home you will need to inform our registrars of your new address.

You will need:

  • Shareholder's full name and current registered address
  • Shareholder investor code

You will find both of these on a share certificate, recent dividend voucher or any of our other correspondence.

What do I need to do if I change my name?

If you change your name, please write to our registrars with details of your new name and previous name. You should attach a copy of your marriage certificate or your change of name deed together with your share certificate(s) and any unpaid dividend cheques in your old name. The registrars will then reissue them.

If you have also changed your address, see 'What do I need to do if I move home?'.

How do I report the death of a registered holder?

If you are administering an estate, you may need to transfer the shares into the names of the beneficiaries or sell the holding. The first step is to write to our registrar, they will then place a temporary marker on the register to ensure that wherever possible, they do not issue further dividend payments in the shareholder's name. They will also send you the forms that you will need to complete. 

Please contact our registrars in writing or by phone so they can guide you through the process.

I've lost my dividend cheque - how do I get a replacement?
If you lose a dividend cheque before you have had a chance to pay it into your bank account, please contact our registrars in writing. The registrars will then be able to reissue you with a replacement cheque. Please note that there may be an administration charge.
My dividend cheque is out of date
If you send the out-of-date cheque to our registrars they will reissue it. Please note that there may be an administration charge.
Can I have my dividends paid into my bank account?

This is possible with most bank or building society accounts in the UK. It is sometimes referred to as a 'payment instruction' or 'dividend mandate'. Mandating your dividends is easy - the dividend will go into your account on the payment date and payment information about the dividend will be sent to you at your registered address.

Shareholders can also update their mandate via www.signalshares.com. They will do everything to register your mandate request in time for the next dividend. However entitlement to a dividend is usually calculated one or two months before the dividend is actually paid. If your request is received after this time, you will receive your dividend by your existing payment method, but they will ensure that your instruction is registered for the subsequent payment.

Can I take my dividends as shares rather than cash?
Yes – G4S operates a DRIP (dividend re-investment plan). Visit our Dividend Information page for more details.
How do I transfer my shares?

If you want to give or sell your shares to someone you know, you can transfer your holding using a 'stock transfer form'. You can download the stock transfer form from the Link Asset website.

Once you have completed and signed the form, please return it to Link Asset Services by post.